Monday, October 1, 2012

Leaving Ireland begin London

I woke up bright and early in Globetrotters hostel in Dublin to gather my things in the dark and set off westward through the rain towards the National Museum at Collins Barracks. Along the way I passed through this entire street of vegetable and fruit sellers who had giant crates full of food sitting out along the street. As I progressed and the rain got worse I stopped in at a cafe for coffee and a scone where I was met by complete and utter confusion from the woman at the register when I tried to acquire a recommendation for my order. I eventually made it to the museum (which was fabulous as seen below).


When I got there, being myself, I spent a number of hours looking at antique firearms and exhibits related to the Irish war of Independence and the Irish Civil War. These post-colonial conflicts have always been of interest to me because seldom do people remember that Ireland, so very close to Britain itself, was a colony. More importantly the Irish was of Independence marked the first true guerilla nationalist campaign or people's war. 

After sadly leaving the museum because I needed to catch my flight I met up with Noah and took a bus to the Dublin airport. After another lovely bout with Ryan Air (the only time I have ever felt an airline was my enemy and would be trying to charge extra things on me at any moment) we landed at London Gatwick. We made our way via van, tube, and bus back to the barge for one last evening before moving in. 

1 comment: