Thursday, October 4, 2012

The first week living in London

I moved into my suite that I share with my friend Noah in London a week ago. It's been somewhat overwhelming and definitely exciting moving into a new city in a foreign country. Most of my struggles thus far have been focuses around the fact that where I live (in the financial district) lacks normal things like a place to buy towels. But I'm figuring it out step by step.

Since I only have class for 12 hours a week I've been trying to use my free time to see as much of London as I can. Thus far I've made it to  The Tate Britain, which was really quite interesting.


This was probably my favorite painting I saw there. 

I've since also made it to the Tate Modern, which is in this very imposing old power station but has a great collection and some very good new art along with a few Dali's I liked. 

Beyond that I've been trying to see regular London things like Buckingham Palace (I got to see the changing of the guard on accident while wandering around the other day also). 


There are also a wealth of outdoor markets that I keep running across. The Spitalfields Market is only a block from my building and Brick Lane which sets up a grand shop of food vendors, antiques and vintage clothing on the weekends is only a few more blocks away.

 I also walked through the Columbia Road Flower Market with some classmates. When I told my mother about it later she reminded me that my last immigrant relative, a florist who came from England to the US in 1900, would probably have been found there. 

Today, after another meal in the cafeteria of the Indian YMCA (a most excellent culinary find), I went and took a tour of the houses of parliament. Below is a picture of Westminster Hall where Charles I was tried and state funerals are held. The concept that this building is almost a thousand years old is astounding to me since I come from a place where something that is 400 years old is extremely rare. 


My initial explorations have only made me more excited to keep adventuring in London. I have yet to find an equivalent to Harper reading room (I seem to have read 3 Shakespeare plays this week) but for now I guess the view from my room will have to do. 






1 comment:

  1. I love the part about the florist! Grammy & Dad would be so proud of you for going exploring! As am I. Keep making the most of your experience.

    ReplyDelete